Thursday, June 27, 2013

Recipes: Rhubarb Cardamom Muffins and Kale Chips

I got my first CSA box of the summer, and of course there was a nice bunch of rhubarb.  The farmer gave me a recipe for rhubarb muffins, which I tweaked a little bit, and the results were delicious!



Rhubarb Cardamom Muffins


2 1/2 cups flour (I used half almond meal and half all-purpose flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1 1/4 cup sour milk (add 1 tablespoon of vinegar to milk)
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup margarine or oil (I used coconut oil)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups finely diced rhubarb
I also added 1 tsp of cardamom to the muffin batter

Topping
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
I added another 1/2 tsp cardamom to the topping

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, then stir in rhubarb
Beat wet ingredients
Add wet to dry and stir until just mixed
Pour batter into muffin tins (I greased mine with coconut oil)
Bake for 20-25 minutes

I actually used a mini muffin tin and it took about 12 minutes.

YUM!

There was also quite a nice bunch of kale in the box this week.  I don't think I have ever eaten kale, or at least I have not prepared it myself.  I decided to try making kale chips, which I have seen all over Pinterest and was super easy:

Kale Chips


1 bunch kale
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tsp sea salt

Wash the kale thoroughly and rip it into small pieces.  Rub olive oil all over the kale and sprinkle with sea salt.  Spread on a baking sheet in a single layer and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  Eat the whole batch in five minutes (offer to your kids but they will probably refuse to try it).  Then go floss your teeth.


I guess these were pretty good, but I'm not raving about them like the rhubarb muffins.  Kale has a pretty strong taste but the crunchy chips were not bad.  Next time I might try with a bunch of garlic to mask the kale flavor give them a little more flavor :)

No comments:

Post a Comment