Tuesday, April 1, 2014

The injured reckless runner

I casually mentioned at the end of my last post that my knees were sore...well that pain turned out to be a lot more serious than I thought. Here I am, 17 days after the Get Lucky race, and still unable to run due to severe pain in my right knee. Just walking, driving, and sitting at my desk at work are almost more than my knee can handle right now. I have been reduced to wearing my running shoes all day at work and taking the elevator rather than walking down one flight of stairs (going upstairs is bearable, downstairs not so much). 
I did visit the orthopedic doctor after about a week of pain that was not improving. He diagnosed me with "runner's knee" or patellofemoral pain syndrome. His recommendations of rest, ice and ibuprofen were less than helpful. After moping around for another week, I decided to try some alternative methods for getting back on my feet. I have three appointments with an ART chiropractor this week, as well as a body works massage at the gym and a visit with my trainer. So far I have not experienced any improvement but I am trying to stay hopeful that I will be able to run again soon! I don't know at this point if I will be able to run the Lone Star half in 18 days.  I was planning on running a local 10k race to celebrate my 30th birthday on May 3, and now I am doubting that I will even be able to do that. It is really hard to keep a positive attitude at the moment, but I came upon this old post from Lauren Fleshman that somehow made me feel a little better:
http://asklaurenfleshman.com/2011/01/fighting-injury-with-gratitude/

At least I still get to see REK when I am down in Texas (who happens to be suffering from a broken foot), so there's that.  And I need to get me one of these shirts. Even if I can't run the race, I will make the best out of the situation by cheering on my mom & my aunt Sue who will be running her first half!

No comments:

Post a Comment