Thursday, October 31, 2013

Monster Dash Half Marathon Race Recap

I finally had a great half marathon!  I felt strong just about the whole race and never needed to take a walking break (well maybe once for less than a minute on that one hill toward the end that seemed giant…).  I achieved my goal of under 2:30, with an official time of 2:29:26.


It was the perfect weather for running, in the low 40s and a nice sunny day.  Anna ran with me the whole way, and we both felt like the miles just flew by so quickly!  It was really fun to run with her and get a PR!  During the race we talked about how we both want to run the Disney World Marathon someday, maybe 2015?  However, after we reached the finish line, I just couldn't quite imagine doing that distance twice in a row, so I guess I'm still undecided about running a full marathon.  

The last 2 miles were tough, but I was still able to finish relatively strong.  I did have some flashbacks to the Women Rock race because the last part of the course was the same as this race.  I remember how awful I felt during that race, and I'm so glad I got a chance to redeem myself!  Anna, Tasha and I all signed up for the whole monster series for 2014, so we will be doing the Polar Dash 14 mile, Get Lucky HM, Minneapolis HM, and the Monster Dash HM again next year.  I can't wait to work on my speed over the next year and just keep improving.  It's good to have some running buddies to race with, and I am very excited for my running BFF Jackie to have her baby next April so we can run another race together soon!



2 comments:

  1. Hey Maija, I had kind of lost track of your blog, so fun to find it again today and catch up on the great progress you are making, so impressive what you are doing... good for you sweetie! What about that Luckenbach half in April, be so fun if we all could do it together... so far my longest run has been a 10K, but that would be reeeal motivation for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue! I would also love to do the half in Luckenbach...wonder if we could run in our cowboy boots :)

      Delete